Friday, December 2, 2011

Pokes and Pancakes

Had a really good day today.  Took most of the day off,  which allowed me to take the pup for a walk and to do some shopping.  Right now, Tommy and I are watching the PAC-12 Championship game between the Ducks and UCLA, and are cheering the Ducks right along!  Tomorrow is Bedlam in Oklahoma, and of course, between Oklahoma State and OU, I gotta cheer my Pokes on all the way!! 

Go Pokes!!

Stillwater will be a hoppin' place tomorrow, and thinking about it brings back my own memories of time spent at Eskimo Joes  (known simply as "Joes" by frequenters) consuming beer from those plastic souvenir glasses that were saved and became my actual drinking ware for the first year or so after college.  And you can't talk about Joes without at least mentioning their chili cheese fries.  Y-u-m.  This makes me nostalgic, thinking about other hangouts like "The Wall" and The Wormy Dog Saloon.  And a diner called Shortcake's, where the prices were incredibly cheap and the food was mediocre diner food. 

Well, that was a fun little trip. 

So, back here in The 'Couve, we had breakfast for dinner tonight.  I made Pumpkin Pancakes at the request of Tommy.  I made them for the first time the other day and he flinched when I suggested it at that time, thinking that pumpkin and pancakes were not two words that went well together.  I made them anyway, and he loved them.  He declared that in the future, he always wants his pancakes made this way.  Tonight, he got his wish and had them again.  The original recipe came from allrecipes.com, but I changed it up just a tiny bit to fit the ingredients I had on hand. 

Let me introduce the Pumpkin Pancakes


Tommy was quite happy.  I asked him to pose for a picture or two, which he willingly did, but was cheesy about the whole thing! 

When I said to take an excited bite of pancake, this is what I got:


Not exactly excited looking, but I guess my request was a little challenging.  He held this forkful of pancake in his open mouth for several seconds while my slow camera took the shot, so we both ended up laughing once the picture was done.  Also note the puppy nose near the plate.  Little beggin' Bender is hoping for a windfall.  This was Tommy's first plate.

The second plate, hot off the griddle, is shown here.  Tommy wanted extra, extra butter on this batch.  So this is the picture that says, "Oh, I love these pancakes and I love them even more with lots of butter!!"  I told him to smile, and this is what I got.    ??????    Really, I promise he was very willing to do these photos and he was not in any pain at all! 


For half of the batch, I mixed in about 1/2 cup of chopped walnuts.  Quite tasty!  Seven pancakes and a glass of milk later, Tommy declared himself stuffed full.  And with a full stomach, he couldn't help but doze off, it appears.  It's not even 7:00 yet., and he's now sound asleep on the couch with Pepper laying across his legs.  Ducks are currently winning 35-14.  Bender's laying at my feet asleep; Shasta is sitting here on the sofa curled up beside me. 

A great way to conclude a really nice day. 

Enjoy!


3 comments:

Leann said...

Go Pokes! btw, you forgot about my favorite bar....Murphy's. Good times!

Unknown said...

Duh'oh! How could I forget Murphy's? That is where I met Lars. Seems like so so long ago.

Unknown said...

Whoohooo!!! Oklahoma State wins and are the Big 12 Champions!! Nicely done, Cowboys!