Saturday, December 17, 2011

Just Feel Like Chatting

Today was the company Christmas party.  The folks that put it together did such a fabulous job of coordinating and planning out activities.  I am so impressed and appreciative.  We did a white elephant gift exchange, which was funny and actually ended on an interesting note.  I ended up with this lovely jewel:


Yep.  It is a pig soap dispenser that oinks (or grunts, really) when pressure is applied to the pig, and, yes, it is missing the pump.  Just call me lucky!  And, truth be known, I actually am thrilled with this little token because it is quite special in its own way.  I think that karma is giving me grief because me, Ms. New Vegetarian, ate several bacon-wrapped dates at the party.  Duh'oh! 

I took my new favorite cookie to the party, the Oatmeal Gingersnaps.  I am happy to have a few leftover, because I really like the spice of these.  I had kept a small baggie of them when I made them for Tommy to take to work, but we recently got a new washer and dryer, and I gave the left over cookies I had kept to the delivery guys.  I am happy to have some back in my stash again! 

Also, speaking of baking, back in November in my "Whip It" post, I mentioned a baking contest.  Unfortunately, because of the timing of some family events, I wasn't able to participate in the bake off.  I have to say, though, from the pictures that were shared of the contestants and their entries, I work with several very accomplished bakers!!  I would love to start a bakery some day, and if I do, I know several people that might be great business partners!  For the contest, I had planned to bake a German Chocolate Cake - and I still may do it this weekend.  Once I do, I'll post pictures and the recipe. 

In the meantime, here is a recipe for a treat that I made not too long ago.  I took them to work and also sent some to some friends.  Everyone that ate them loved them.  I like caramel, but I like chocolate better - just my own personal preference.  But I made these for the caramel eaters in my life.  These are Caramel Pecan Bars.


The original recipe comes from Southern Living's Holiday edition.  I was afraid they would be too hard and difficult on the teeth, but ended up that they were just the right amount of chewy and were a popular treat. 

And my post just wouldn't feel complete tonight without a Bender story.  Recently, in a rash "hurry up and clean the house, we have visitors coming over" moment, a small bag of cat toys came to the attention of Bender.  He repeatedly was darting into the living room with a little mouse, or a catnip ball, or some other tiny toy.  I wouldn't care so much, but they're just small enough that I'm afraid he might choke on them if he accidentally swallows one of them.  In a game of chase (while I was stripping beds and washing every potentially dirty piece of laundry with my new washer!), I finally snapped a shot of Mr. Naughty Dog dashing under the bed in true "you can't catch me" fashion.  Sorry for the blur, but it was, after all, an action shot!


Since this, I have found where the bag of cat toys are and have put them where Bender can no longer reach them.  Being a doggy mom is a full time job.  *whew*

Enjoy!!


2 comments:

Leann said...

Love, love, love the picture of Bender. He is too funny.

Unknown said...

Oh, Leann... he IS funny. And so, so, so naughty!