Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Whip It - A Baking Contest vs A Roller Derby Match

The trash is out at the curb.  Fridge cleaned out.  Dishes done.  So here we all are, trying to acclamate ourselves back into dealing with the demands of work after the hub-bub of Thanksgiving wraps up.  Is it hard to get motivated and back into the swing of things after 4 days off?  Oh, boy.  Yep.  Sure is.  Even for those of us that actually like our jobs a lot! 

So, I sit here on the couch and try to organize my thoughts of the things I'll need to focus on at work tomorrow as the dog steals yet another one of my flip flops and darts down the hall and under the bed with it.  Yes, I tried to stop him, yes, I chased him to the bedroom, and no, I did not win that battle.  He has figured out just how far under the bed to go so that I cannot reach him no matter how hard I try or how much I stretch my fingers.  Naughty and smart is a bad combination. 




One of the things that happened at work today that has definitely been occupying my mind tonight is an announcement that went out from our "Spirit Team" (our company morale booster squad) regarding the first annual company bake off contest!  WHOOOT!  How fun is that?  Four categories: Cakes, Cookies, Pies, and "Surprise Us"!!  I need to investigate the rules further to confirm that I can make an entry for each category.  Voting will be done in a manner so that voting employees don't know who made the tasty treats, and they'll be voting on taste and presentation.  I'm really excited about the "Surprise Us" category, personally.  I can guarantee that you will be hearing more about this in the future, with pictures to boot!

Onto another matter, for anyone who is a little restless and looking for something different to do, I would like to offer a suggestion.  Earlier this year, Tommy and I went to our first ever roller derby match, and we had a ton of fun.  If you've never gone, it's something you should do at least once.  At the match we went to, they were really good about giving out pamphlets that explained the players' positions, purposes, and the rules of the game.  It's pretty easy to get the jest of how it all works, and before you know it you're talking derby lingo like a pro.  It had a similar atmosphere as hockey, but a bit less aggressive, a lot less cold, and a ton more cheesy, fun flair! 



The Portland based roller derby group is called "The Rose City Rollers" and on their website, they note that they are sponsored, in part, by Pabst Blue Ribbon.  How can you go wrong???  One of our favorite teams was "Axles of Annihilation" with team members that had names like Blood Clottia, Honey Hellfire (she was really good!), Hurricane Skatrina, and Illegally Blonde.  We also liked the Break Neck Betties team with Soul Fearic Acid and D. Konstructor.  I have to say that it is fun to yell out their names when they do something fabulous or something bad. 

If you live in the Portland, Oregon area and have an interest, here is the link to The Rose City Rollers web site (click here).  The opposing group was Seattle's Rat City Roller Girls (click here), for those of you who may be a little further North. 

I think if I had a roller derby name, it'd be something like The Diabolical Dough Puncher.  Or maybe not?  Regardless, I hope you'll give it a whirl, or a whip.  You know... whatever works. 




No comments: