Friday, November 25, 2011

A Memorial Post

This post is completely and entirely dedicated to a very special person that abruptly passed away one year ago.  His name is Tom Foster, and he was my boss.  I worked with him as his assistant for 11 years before he died, and as a result of knowing him, working with him and losing him, my life has been changed. 

Tom taught me and many others a great deal about being caring, having passion, and doing the right thing.  He's the only person I have ever worked for that gave out reading assignments ("Getting to Yes", and I still know what it means to have a BATNA!).  If you messed up and apologized for it, he would say, without hesitation, "I'm glad you're sorry."  (That one always threw me for a loop, and those he said it to still laugh about it to this day.)  He ate largely vegetarian, although I've seen him inhale a pulled pork sandwich and fries without flinching.  He used some of the most interesting analogies that I've ever heard, but they were often memorable, which I guess is the point. 

I miss him. 

And I still can't believe he's gone.  Some days, it just doesn't feel real. 

At work, I now sit in the office that would have been his.  I make decisions that, if he were here, I would ask his advice on.  Things are so different now. 

And although the loss of Tom is so glaring because of my daily interactions that I had with him for so many years, there are many things that I have to be very grateful for, for certain.  I can't put value on the relationship that I've developed with his wife, Lyn, and how much it means to me to work beside her and Roxy every day.  I have amazing co-workers that continue to be dedicated and loyal to Tom's vision and the company (yes, he definitely had that effect on people!).  And, of course, I have my friends and family and my beloved pets.  The list, really, is endless. 

So, without getting overly emotional and swept away (because it could happen, and still might), I'll wrap this up with a few "Tomisms" - and those that know him, if you read this, will hopefully get a smile out of the short list I've come up with:

"You haven't done that yet?  Ok.  That's your albatross." 
"Good, better, best..."
"I'm doing good enough."  (I didn't particularly like this one, but he did say it!)
"I'm glad you're sorry."  (Usually followed by, "Because it means you'll try hard to not do it again.")
"Fate smiles on the prepared person."
"Writing maketh an exact man."
"I like the cut of his jib."  (He said this after he first met Tommy.)
"I thought you might like to read this."  (As he hands you an article he cut out of the newspaper.)
"All ships rise with the tide." 



This is Karla (one of my uber-fabulous co-workers and friends), Tom, Roxy, Me, and Bender at the March of Dimes walk back in 2009. 


I'll leave it at this, at least for now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this Traci. I can't say enough.

Chris

Unknown said...

Thanks, Chris, for reading and commenting. I sincerely appreciate it.