Monday, February 13, 2012

Valentines Day March of Dimes Muffin Mania

I'm driving my little dog crazy tonight.  He goes crazy for the smell of cinnamon, and it's definitely in the air at the homestead right now!

I'm making three different muffins tonight.  Yeah, I know what you're thinking... tomorrow is Valentine's Day and instead of sexy chocolate recipes and goodies, I'm making very un-romantic muffins.  I just don't have a good solid answer for that other than muffins do give off a warm and cozy feel, right?  They're kinda a little bit cuddly, I think. 

ANYWAY... the real point is that at work tomorrow, several folks are bringing in baked goods and we're having a bake sale to raise money for the March of Dimes.  I work with great people who have amazing ideas and do wonderful things.  They make me proud! 

First, I made a beautiful, cinnamony, fabulous batch of Cinnamon Apple Muffins  in the large muffin pan - so it made a total of 6.  These muffins are the kind that, to me, never really sound as tempting as blueberry or several other flavors, but when I make them and eat them, I can't remember why they didn't sound good to start with.  They are SO good.  Super moist and just down right good. 

It has finely diced apple bits (skin and all!) which adds moisture and texture.  And makes my mouth water.

I also made Jumbo Blueberry Muffins that always turn out perfectly!  Here's a picture from last time I made them - I didn't take any new pictures tonight because I'm a little busy (or is it lazy?).  The only thing I did different this time was add about a teaspoon of lemon extract to the batter for a little extra somethin'. 


I think upside down muffins are so pretty!  See...  here's some more.


The ones above are Cranberry Orange Muffins.  I don't have a link to the recipe anywhere like I do for the ones above, but here's the quick recipe for them:

Cream together 1/2 cup softened butter, 1 cup sugar.  Add two eggs and vanilla and mix well. 
Add zest of 1 orange and about 2 Tbsp of orange juice.
In bowl, combine 2 tsp baking powder and 2 cups flour.
Alternate adding 1/2 cup of milk and the flour mixture into the sugar mix ending with the flour mix. 
Stir in 2 1/2 cups cranberries, thawed and drained. 

Bake in 375 degree oven in greased muffin tins (or use paper lines) for about 20 to 30 minutes (depending on the size of the muffin tins you use) or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.  

Easy. Easy. Easy.

So here's a little tidbit tip that I learned tonight.  I used frozen cranberries.  Taste fine (just sampled a muffin and it was tart and tasty!), but I didn't defrost the cranberries and it caused the batter to get thick, the muffins had to cook longer because the batter was so cold and they didn't end up with big puffy tops like they usually do.  The tops puffed, but just not as big and pretty as usual.  So it's important to thaw and drain the berries.  Now I know.

Also, the orange flavor was very mild, so next time I might would add just a teaspoon of orange extract.  If I was in the mood to do so, that is.

Welp.  Early meetings in the morning, so gonna wrap up the muffins and hit the hay! 

I hope you have a fabulous Valentine's Day tomorrow!

Enjoy!


No comments: