Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Doggie's A-Dashin'

Every year since Bender was born, he and I have participated in the Oregon Humane Society's Doggie Dash fundraising event.  It's always a lot of fun to see all the tons of different dogs and their people roaming about and participating in all of the different events that are available.  One year, Bender met a very cute Miniature American Eskimo female and he flat out refused to leave her.  When I tugged on his leash, he parked his rump right down and did what I call "the donkey" and refused to budge. 

The first year that we did it, Bender was going through a stubborn teenager phase where, in the middle of going on a walk, he'd just stop and park it and not go any further.  Done. That particular year I had to carry him for part of the distance of the dash.  He wasn't full grown then, but he still got quite heavy after a bit of time.  People that were walking with me thought it was funny and cute.  Hmphf. 

Since then, though, Bender has matured a little and is better behaved.  He's becoming an old pro at being a dasher and raising money for less fortunate animals.  We are a household that LOVES critters (I would be dangerous if I lived someplace with more space, like a farm... seriously!), so this is a fundraising event that I do every year without miss. 

If you would be interested in learning more about it or in donating to Bender and my team, you can do so by clicking here. 

Some pictures from previous events for your viewing pleasure.

First, I didn't realize I had a picture.  This is the cute little girl he met that I was talking about in the first paragraph above, and you can see he's already rebelling to my suggestion that we move on.  This was pre-donkey stance. (2009)


Lots of people and dogs!  This is the registration tent.  (2009)


Bender wanting me to pick him up and carry him.  Heaven help me... (2009)


In 2010, we participated in the No Bonz Team, the team made up of people from Bender's "school", all in red and representin'!


In 2011, we were on the No Bonz Team again, and bender is wearing his No Bonz bandana.  This is us on the drive into Portland - Bender's got his game face on!


So, hopefully the pictures haven't been too much, but it's a fun event that goes to a great cause.  Feel free to ask me questions, visit my Doggie Dash site, or the site of the Oregon Humane Society. 

Thanks in advance for reading this special blog and for any donation, small or large, that you might be able to make towards our efforts.

No comments: