Saturday, February 18, 2012

Heirloom Recipe Contest and Chocolate Chip Cookie Pies

I am not an early bird, but would tend in a world that was all about me, to be a night owl instead.  But since things are what they are, I often look forward to the weekends largely so I can sleep late in the mornings.  That is one of my favorite, favorite things!  And the good news is that all of my furry critters are happy to oblige me and sleep in with me as late as I want, which is usually 9:00 or 9:30...or so. 

This morning, I was awake at 5:30. 

Wide awake.

Feeling completely rested.

Hmphf.

At about 6:00, I gave up, crawled out of bed and made coffee.  And I started baking. 

I'm in muffin mode.  Don't try to stop me, you'll only get hurt.  Ok, maybe not - I'm not really that tough.  But, still, I'm just enjoying the muffin making process and how nicely they're turning out.  With full intentions of taking a car load of sweet goodness to Portland's Ronald McDonald House (which Bender and I did this afternoon!), I made two batches of Cinnamon Apple Muffins, and this time, I made them in my jumbo muffin tin (so I got six very large, beautiful muffins out of each batch) and I made two batches of  Blueberry Muffins also in the jumbo muffin tin, but instead of using only blueberries, I used blueberries and chopped up strawberries both.

This isn't the best picture ever, but it's the only one I took.  Dang it.

  
In addition to this, I also made two Chocolate Chip Cookie Pies.  The original recipe came from www.ourbestbites.com.  I can vouch that these taste gooood.  I can also vouch that it's pretty important to let it mostly cool before you cut it because otherwise you end up with a delicious gooey messy slice of pie.  The good news is that messy looking slices still taste fabulous!



Yes, the slice you see is topped with ice cream and chocolate sauce.  Yes, it's a bit sinful.  What can I say? 

I have one other thing to chat with you about this time.  There is a contest going on at the Just A Pinch website, and if you are interested in participating, I'm going to provide you with some information below. 

The Just A Pinch
Heirloom Recipe Contest Information


Just A Pinch is hosting an Heirloom Recipe Contest, and you can learn more about it and enter the contest by clicking here.  The hope is that participants will share family recipes and related stories.  The winner of the contest will get an all expense paid trip to Nashville to participate in the next Blue Ribbon Showcase, tickets to the Grand Ole Opry and a $1,000 Cook's Dream shopping spree at the Viking Store!

The contest has already started, but don't worry!  You still have plenty of time to enter, as it doesn't end until May 15th.

One other thing along this line.  I have something to give away, too, so keep reading!  You could win access to the interactive digital compilation of all the Blue Ribbon recipes from 2011 from the Just A Pinch site. With the download code, you will have easy access to the hundreds of recipes that were given a blue ribbon last year. To be eligible for this nice prize, all you need to do is leave a comment on this blog indicating the name of your personal favorite family recipe.  That's it; it's that simple.  Keep in mind, though, that if you post a comment as "Anonymous" I won't be able to notify you if you win, so anonymous comments won't be considered.


I think that's it for now!  I hope you'll consider entering the Heirloom Recipe Contest, and I hope you'll also consider entering my fun giveaway, too. 

Have a fabulous weekend, everyone!!

Enjoy!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Favorite family recipe. The Sattele Big Dump. Its a giant pot (the kind you fry a turkey in) of kielbasa, whole red potatoes, onions, corn on the cob, shrimp (right off the boat) and an assortment of secret herbs and spices. The shrimp go in at the last moment. When the shrimp are perfectly cooked you dump the contents of the pot on a newspaper lined table and dig in. Melted butter, plenty of good bread and beer make the meal! Best served Al fresco. You'll have to ask my brother Ron for the recipe. Serves 10-30

Unknown said...

Dear Anonymous Lady,
Thank you for your post and for sharing your family recipe. I am hoping that with a trip to Savannah, I may sometime experience this delicious meal first hand! :) I am very intrigued with the secret mix of herbs and spices...so mysterious!

Thank you for this!