Monday, July 2, 2012

What do you find under a ponytail?

A friend and co-worker has decided that he is going to go hiking on a regular basis.  As part of this proclamation and with a little urging, he roped another friend (and co-worker) and me to go with him this past weekend.  Oh yippee, yay, whoohoot.  Ok, really, I'm not much of a hiker and I have a little bit of a difficult time making it "fun" for myself.  It is supposed to be fun, right?  And I live in a place that is covered with kazillions of hiking trails.  Amazing hiking trails.  I should be more appreciative.

So, Bender and I got up Sunday morning and met Russ and Lyn at Horsetail Falls, just east of Portland.  The hike started off a little bit steep with about five or so switchbacks, and then it leveled out.  At switchback three or four or so, I was totally ready to throw in the towel!  But I'm glad I didn't. 

This is Horsetail Falls which is visible from the roadside.  Very pretty!


As you hike the trail, you come across another waterfall, Ponytail Falls.  It is cool because it's beautiful AND because there is a dug out area beneath the falls that you can walk through and have an underneath view of the fall. 



I wish I had known about this trail and these falls when The Mob was here!! They would have loved the little cave-like area! 

Of course, the view from high up was amazing.  It overlooked the Columbia River and a wetland area. 



On the trail, we popped out in a different spot than where we started, so we had to walk back to our cars on the roadside.  During that stroll, we went through the Oneonta Tunnel that was rebuilt in 2009, but it smelled like fresh lumber.  It smelled good!


After our hike, we drove over the Bridge of the Gods into Stevenson, Washington and had burgers, beer and tea at the Big River Grill.  It was a nice day for it, and Bender and I were glad we went! 

Independence Day is quickly approaching.  I hope everyone has a safe and happy holiday!  Please remember that while fireworks are a way of celebrating our country and the men and women who have fought to protect it, there are ways to support our retired and active military year-round and directly.  Stay thankful!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great pics TD,if a person would hike that every day they would be in race horse form.

Unknown said...

Thanks, GT! You're right! If someone hiked this every day, they'd get into shape PDQ!