Saturday, July 21, 2012

Meet Me In Montana...

Hello, out there!  What a busy last few weeks I've had, both at work and in the personal realm!  Most recently, work took me on a new adventure to Montana.  I've never been there before - ever - and was excited to see what I've heard so much about.  And I have to say that Montana did not disappoint me!  It was beautiful!  I spent a little time in Helena and a little time in Butte.  And because of the timing of things, I was able to enjoy some non-business moments with two friends and co-workers doing some very fun things!

As far as the non-business side of the fence goes, the first outing included going on a boat ride up (or down?) the Missouri River, tracing the path of Lewis & Clark.  It was a beautiful, well guided, dramatic tour of the Gates of the Mountains.  The link about the tour can be found here.  

Rhino's Horn:

Devil's Slide:

The river:

This river ride is extremely relaxing and the guide that we had was amazing in his story-telling.  And another plus:  You can take a cooler with beer on the trip with you!  How can that be bad?? 

The following day, we went to Butte for the Montana Folk Festival.  There were so many excellent bands that were playing there, one of which was Diunna Greenleaf and and the Blue Mercury Band.  I LOVED them!  Here is a picture of me with Diunna that we took as she was signing my CD.  This woman has an amazing, strong, beautiful voice that gave me shivers even though I was sweating in the heat of the Montana sun!  I think people so related to her sound and her words that they were drawn to her.


Also while at the festival, there is a small garden of flowers that we walked through and took lots and lots and lots of pictures.  It was hard not to.  But here is one of my favorites that I snapped.  It was very pretty. 


I also completely fell in love with the handiwork of Theresa Gong.  She had some beautiful pottery pieces that I anticipate being an eager collector of over time.  I purchased one piece while I was there, and then my wonderful hostesses purchased another piece for me as a sweet gift!  You can go see Theresa's work here:  Theresa Gong Porcelain Pottery and Theresa Gong Porcelain Pottery Gallery

Lastly, I have to mention a brewery we stopped at, Quarry Brewing, and had a sampler of some very nice beers.  I learned that I really DO like porters (they have a fabulous one!).  And, as a group, we all voted positive for their summer brew, the Apricot Ale.  It was really, really good.  I was completely taken with the Mug Club that they have there.  If you click on the link above, you should check it out.  I thought it was pretty clever. 

Unfortunately, all of my busy business has not afforded me the time to do any baking whatsoever.  I barely have even had the time to cook regular ol' meals of late.  I do expect things to slow down here in the next week or two, and I'm anxious for it because I do have several new recipes that I've been saving up to give a try.  So stay tuned!!

It's fair to say that my first trip to Montana was a successful one.  I hope to get to return. 

As for other happenings, all the animals are doing well.  Bender recently started destruction work on his most recent "baby."  I don't know what it is about these types of babies, but they last him a long time before he starts tearing into them.  I think he's had this one for several months now, and I think it might even be a record.  Once he starting in with the de-stuffing, though, he seems to thoroughly enjoy it. 



For now, I think that's about all I've got!

Take care out there!!

No comments: