Saturday, April 28, 2012

Banana Nut Bread and White Lilacs


For today's fun, I'm making Banana Nut Bread. Before you let yourself believe that it is boring (maybe even more boring than granola - see below for reference), I really must tell you that every time that I make this bread, someone comments and tells me it is the best banana nut bread they've every had. And if you happen to go to the link to get this fabulous recipe to try, you'll see by the comments under my recipe that for several people, it is now a favorite in their homes. 


And, yes, I ate that piece with the butter on it immediately after taking this picture. 

And my house smells divine. 

I used my brand new Stoneware mini-loaf pan.  I've never had or used Stoneware or any other Pampered Chef product, so I was skeptical and worried about making my trusty recipe with my beloved over-ripened bananas that I've been saving to use just for today.  The loaves turned out beautifully.  They are pretty and delicate, and they came right out with no sticking issues whatsoever.  I'm sold!!! 


Seriously, I'm totally sold.  The Stoneware is so... dry?, and it's hard to believe it's not going to hold onto the bread and never let it go.  But it does.  And not only does it do so, but it does so with zero fuss. 

And, no, I don't sell it.  I am just pleasantly surprised at how much I really like it!  SCORE!

I do believe that Spring is here!  I mowed the yard last weekend, and it already needs to be mowed again.  That's a sure sign, right?  This is the bloom that is on one of the trees in my back yard.  It's a really pretty white lilac. 



Mr. Bender continues to be on the mend.  He seems to be doing good and is mostly recovered.  His hind legs still aren't holding up to his previous activity as a result of his back still being weak, but otherwise, things are good.  Thank you to everyone who has asked about him.  He's pretty important to me, no doubt!

At his "school" called No Bonz About It, they often have pool parties once the weather improves.  Because of Bender's activity restrictions, one of his super kind teachers (Teri Lea, you know who you are!!!) gave Bender a private pool party so that he wouldn't feel left out and sent me a picture (see below).  He *loves* his pool parties. 



Last weekend, another new recipe I tried was making homemade granola.  One of my co-workers informed me that making your own granola is really quite boring.  I suspect that she's made many batches herself and there's just not much mystery left in it for her.  Regardless, I was very pleased with how it smelled and tasted after I tried my rookie hand at it!  I searched online and ended up combining several different recipes to get one that I thought sounded good.  Here we go...


Traci's Granola:

4 cups oats
2 cups finely chopped nuts (pecans, walnuts, almonds or a mix of all three)
3/4 cup shredded sweetened coconut
1/4 brown sugar
1/4 c maple syrup
1/4 cup honey
1/2 c veg oil
1 tsp vanilla
1 heaping tsp ground cinnamon
3/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 c raisins or other dried fruit

Preheat your oven 325. Line two baking pans with foil. 

Combine oats nuts and coconut.

In a pan, combine salt, sugar, syrup, honey, oil and cinnamon.  Bring to boil.  Turn off heat. Add vanilla. 

Pour over dry ingredients and stir to coat. Spread evenly over baking sheets.


Bake until crispy and toasted, about 1 hour, stirring every 15-20 minutes to ensure even baking.  Let cool completely.  Stir in dried fruit (I used golden raisin, cranberries and blueberries). 


Store in air tight container.


Easy, easy.  It's a little high-maintenance to make, just because you do need to stir it often in the oven so that it toasts evenly, but it makes a sizable batch (about 10-12 cups total). 

Alright!  On that note, I am out of here!  There is work to be done!


"With the right combination of passion, fearlessness and butter, anything is possible."- Julia Child



No comments: