Sunday, April 1, 2012

April Showers... do we have to?

The last day of March is here and on its way to being over, and the old saying "April showers bring May flowers" comes to mind.  Now, if I'm understanding correctly, we're breaking some records for rainfall this year.  I know that The Oregonian reported today that the 1957 record for rainfall in the month of March has officially been broken.  We've had 7.73 inches of rain this month.  I don't know where we sit in terms of rainfall for the year, but it sure feels like we are well "ahead of schedule" if there is such a thing.  So, yep, the thought of more showers in April is just kind of bleak feeling.  Especially when I talk to a friend down in Texas who is sitting poolside in sunny 84 degree weather and we are 44 degrees and rainy.  I'll just remind myself of this feeling on injustice when it's mid-summer and they're dealing with triple digit heat and I'm sitting in my backyard enjoying the sunny 88 degree weather.  Right?  Right.

Yesterday, I went and saw the oh-so-popular movie, The Hunger Games.  I've read all three books, and I really enjoyed the movie and thought it was pretty true to the book version.  I like it when they stick to the written story to the extent that they can.  I also finished reading The Diary of a Young Girl (The Diary of Anne Frank) this weekend.  It was interesting timing, as some of the beginning shots of The Hunger Games felt reminiscent of old footage you could see on The History Channel of WWII.  In my opinion, there's an obvious story to The Hunger Games and there's a more thoughtful, though-provoking story to it as well. 

I did take advantage of my open day to do a bit of baking, which helps me clear my mind and is very relaxing for me.  I started with another Dump Cake (see previous post).  This time I used diced strawberries in the bottom layer and blueberry pie filling as the middle layer.  I have not tasted it because I'm thinking to donate it, but I'm dying to know how the flavors work!  And, I've also been told by my Mom that she and my Aunt and my Grandma have all been making Dump Cakes for-ev-er.  (Please be sure to place a big emphasis on "for-ev-er" to get the right feel for this.)  She couldn't believe I didn't remember.  I couldn't believe they've been holding out on sharing such an amazing recipe!  What else am I missing out on?  And, for what it's worth, my Dad doesn't remember Mom making these cakes, either!  Right, Dad?

Besides the Dump Cake, I also made my Lemonysnickety Blueberry Bundt Cake today.  It's going into the office with me tomorrow to celebrate April birthdays. 



These pictures are from last time I made it, because tonight I just dusted it with powdered sugar.  I feel a little bit like a cheat because this cake is super easy since it uses a cake mix and instant pudding mix.  I tend to like to make most of my stuff from scratch, but the shortcut of the mix definitely does not take away from the quality and the taste of this pretty cake. 

I hope you've had a wonderful March and I hope an even better April is in store for each of you. I'm signing off so I can get ready to start a new week and a new month bright and early in the morning!

Enjoy!!


"With the right combination of passion, fearlessness and butter, anything is possible."- Julia Child

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ha! Apparently I need to pay closer attention to my calendar, because the last day of March came and went without my notice! :)