Sunday, January 8, 2012

Sushi, Anyone?

This will be a short post, but one that I wanted to put in place today while it's all still fresh in my mind.  A few months ago, Tommy and I took a sushi class at a place in downtown Portland called In Good Taste and we absolutely loved it!  Click on the link and check it out - they offer several different types of cooking classes that I think would be great to do!

Anyway, finally, Tommy and I decided to make sushi at home.  I have to say that I cannot imagine doing this without having taken the class.  Here's what we finished with, just as a teaser of where we're going with this discussion:


This adventure started with us having to go shopping, of course,  because it is absolutely critical that sushi is made with fresh, high quality fish and ingredients.  We went to the Asian food market, Uwajimaya. 


It is amazing.  It's huge, and there are so many interesting, unique things there.  Seriously, I could have just walked up and down all the aisles and spent a ton of time (and money) at this place!  They had what I would call a very fresh fish market.  Really, can it get any fresher?


We bought shashimi grade white tuna, ahi, and salmon.  We bought too much - a little goes a long way, but we learned and know for the next time. 

We got home and carefully made the rice using the shari-zu mixture/method, made some homemade Japanese Spicy Mayo for a spicy tuna  mixture, and cut and sliced and diced all sorts of things.  Unfortunately, we forgot a lot of the techniques we learned in the class, so our rolls weren't as tightly done as they should have been and the inside-out rolls had too much rice on them.  BUT they tasted really good - Tommy could not have been happier!  They didn't look quite as elegant as what we made at the class, but we figure next time, we'll refresh our memories by watching a few YouTube videos before diving in for another round. 

A great afternoon spent in the kitchen with my hubby! 

2 comments:

Leann said...

Wow, that looks yummy! Very cool that both of you worked together to make these. John saw the post and now I think I am in trouble. He will most likely want to try and do this too.

Unknown said...

Oh, Leann, it was actually a lot of fun making the sushi. I enjoyed making it much more than I did eating it. It's just not my thing so much. I bet there's a sushi class in your area you could take - it's well worth it! Do it, John, do it!!!! : )