Sunday, August 19, 2012

Sweetness (and I'm not talking about Walter Payton!)

Another great weekend comes to a close as I get ready to go to bed and brace myself for the fast-approaching Monday morning. 

Bender and I visited another farmer's market yesterday, the one in Portland in the Hollywood District.  They had an event going on across the street from the market place called "The Dog Days of Summer" where Bender showed off his trickery and received some nice treats and cookies in exchange. 

I really must admit that I was hoping to find some more of those huge juicy blackberries that I had seen last weekend - and I wasn't disappointed!!  Which brings me to the introduction of my first recipe, Blackberry Coffee Cake. 

The recipe comes from Gold Medal's Best Baking Recipes magazine, and the recipe can be seen in full by clicking here

Ok... so check out these blackberries.  Aren't they mouth-watering?


I also made some really tasty Oatmeal Carmelitas.  These have been tasted and received the seal-of-approval!  The recipe is very easy and uses only a few key ingredients.  The original recipe, posted here, came from Pillsbury's Bake-Off Contest Prize-Winning Desserts magazine.  Here is a picture of my final product:


Ok... before I go, here is a step in making the caramelitas that, to me, looks so good!  It's where you cover the crust with chocolate chips, nuts and then caramel topping, which makes that gooey looking layer you see in the picture above.  Check this out:


I also made some other baked items, but will have to save the posting of those for a later date. My eyes are heavy and I must call it a night!  I have everything cut, wrapped and ready to haul in and share with Bender's teachers and with the families that are staying at the Portland Ronald McDonald House. 

I just feel like I can't wrap up this post without sharing a picture of my rotten pup enjoying one of his cookies from the market.  Here he is, being cute.


I think sometimes he wonders what the big deal is that makes me have to take pictures of every little thing he does.  Oh, if he could only talk...

Have a great week, everyone!

No comments: